A pair of ladies' knitted silk elbow-length gloves, Italian, second half of 17th century, of salmon pink silk knitted with bands of silver and gold florets to the arms and tendrils over the fingers, 36 cm long. These gloves were probably commercially produced – they are similar to the knitted jackets which appear in many public collections throughout Europe. The general consensus is that they are Italian. KBT has found knitted silk jackets of similar work in Rome and Florence in the past. See V & A Collection 473-1893 for a knitted woman's jacket.
Part of the Collection donated to the Livery in 1959 by the late Robert Spence. Conserved 1995 – 1999 with help from NHLF.