At the coronations of the British monarchy, the Sovereign's right hand glove is removed and the coronation ring is put on. For some 150 years, the coronation gloves have been produced by Messrs Harborow of London. A duplicate glove was always made in case of accident to the original and in 1972, Messrs Harborow presented these to the Worshipful Company of Glovers of London. In 1953, the Glovers Company was itself granted the privilege of producing the glove for HM Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Victoria's coronation glove reputed to have been worn by her in 1838, of white kid leather, grain side out, three quarter length, the gauntlet edged and lined in deep purple satin and gold scallop-patterned bobbin lace threaded with large sequins, tasselled trim to the side slit at the top, the upper hand applied with embroidered blue and red badge bearing the motto Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense, below red velvet Queenly crown, 35 cm long. (RHG King suggests that the glove was machine sewn and made in 1870 - 1876 and was not the actual glove used at the coronation).
Conserved 1995 - 1999 with help from NHLF.